Saturday, May 3, 2008

Demerits



Top photo is the demerit notification letter from LTC Stimus to my parents. Bottom photo sequence left to right: (a) cadets waiting to report for demerits after lunch outside HQ; (b) a cadet reporting for demerits to CPT Penfield inside HQ; (c) cadets checking HQ information board to see how many demerits they got (or others got); (d) cadets working off tours next to tennis court and showers area. [Note: Noun. demerit - a mark against a person for misconduct or failure; usually given in school or armed forces; "ten demerits and he loses his privileges" ] Anyone who attended ENMS understands the word "demerit" because the "demerit system" at ENMS was extremely effective -- at least while I was there. If you didn't take the "demerit" system seriously, chances were good that you'd end up sooner or later paying a price in lost privileges. The demerit system involved a rating period of time. During this period if you received less than 10 demerits, you did not lose privileges. You'd also qualify for the "Commandants List" and receive the blue "Citizenship" award front and center at a Sunday parade in front of everyone. This ribbon attached to your dress blues proudly proclaimed to the world that you knew how to keep your nose clean at ENMS. If you got 10 or more demerits in a given week -- well it was all over for you, at least for the short term. You forfeited being able to go on pass that week, including going home during regularly scheduled holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. Goal number two was not to exceed 25 demerits within the rating period. If you did, you earned tours that had to be worked off. The typical tour involved an hour of marching with your M-1 rifle in full fatigues in a square on a barren dirt field about the size of a basketball court adjacent to the tennis courts and showers area while a member of the daily duty guard (i.e., Sergeant of the Guard) made sure you accomplished your tour. (See above far right photo.) Some tours might be worked off on other details like policing the campus -- collecting trash blowing around the campus. So, how did a cadet get demerits? An interesting aspect to the ENMS demerit system was that any cadet with the rank of corporal and up (cadet non-commissioned officer status of corporal up to cadet officer ranks) had authority to write up anyone of an equal or lesser rank.(I may need a little help in getting all this correct ENMS alumni.) So, if you were a corporal, you could write up other corporals (two stripes) as well as those of a lesser rank than yourself -- private first class cadets (one stripe) and privates (no stripes). This form of supervision applied across the cadet corps was very effective resulting in several hundred sets of eyes watching every one's every move. Becoming aware of this fact caused a change in every one's behavior, too -- at least for most cadets. Of course, the commandant and his assistant commandants could write you up, too. Consequently, the success of the ENMS demerit system is owed in large measure to the cadet corps policing themselves. Strange thing was that everyone took this responsibility seriously. But, there were a few hard assess in the crowd that played their roles to the max, too. They went overboard writing up the most insignificant infractions. When you learned who they were you steered clear of them. But, for the most part, if you got written up by someone, you probably had it coming. [Note: I went up against the ENMS demerit system the second month of my first year at ENMS. No doubt I was having a time adjusting to things. My parents received in the mail the above notification slip from LTC Stimus dated October 28, 1963 notifying them I had forfeited all privileges -- including allowances, passes, and visitors for one week beginning October 28, 1963. I don't remember exactly what I had done but I do remember receiving 11 demerits. The following Sunday I couldn't go out on pass -- a state of existence known as being "campused." That Sunday before the parade in my dress blues, I was assigned to a detail of cadets that policed the campus -- picked up trash and debris on the grounds. Because of this experience, I pulled in my horns and started to "think" more about what I did to cause others to take such notice of my behavior. Somehow I sensed that unless I stepped up my game, I was going to have a negative ENMS experience. Looking back, it was quintessential operant conditioning -- rewards / punishments. Not too long after this, I almost forfeited privileges again that could have cost me my Thanksgiving Day vacation with my family in Las Vegas. Here's what happened. During the week when JFK was assassinated November 22, 1963, I had received 5 demerits. When he was being laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery, the entire senior school was allowed to watch the burial on a single "black and white" television set with rabbit ears attached. Those that didn't get a chair had to stand. As everyone shuffled in to grab an available seat (some jockeying for a better viewing position than others), I got a seat behind a taller cadet who blocked my view. As I jockeyed for a better seat, someone took the seat I was going toward and I got pissed. As I stood there totally whacked, someone in the back shouted for me to sit down. I turned and flipped the bird -- then I sat down. Well, the next day I received enough demerits for disrespect and profanity to make 9 for that week -- one short of being campused and not being able to go home for Thanksgiving. That woke me up real fast. From then on, I "thought" more about what I was doing than merely react to situations -- the first time I really started to face myself and it was quite unnerving.] It didn't take long for me to figure out the system and when I did, I just assumed that anyone with a rank of corporal and higher had a set of "write up" slips in their pocket --a small stapled packet of about 15 slips you got from the cadet company commander's quarters. Thus, with the drop of a pencil practically anyone could jot down your infraction with the time, day, etc., and toss it into the box at HQ for the assistant commandants to collect. Of course the commandant and his assistants were monitoring the validity and reliability of any charges against cadets. Here's how you found out if you were receiving demerits. At every noon formation before heading to lunch in front of the classroom barracks, a list of cadet names would be read by LTC Stimus or one of his assistant commandants in front of everyone identifying those who had to report for demerits. The list wasn't too long -- at the most five or ten or fifteen cadets. If your name was on this list, then after lunch you went to the side of HQ building and stood in line with the other offending cadets where you either played the guessing game regarding what you had done to merit demerits or you kept quite or shared what you had done to deserve your demerits --including the time, place, cadet or assistant commandant who wrote you up. When it was your turn to enter into HQ and report, you walked in with hat in hand, stood at attention and saluted one of the assistant commandants handling demerit duty that day saying, "Private Lauer reporting as ordered sir." The assistant commandant would return your salute and reaching for the demerit slip that was turned in with your name on it would say something like, "Says here that you were out of uniform yesterday after lunch around 12:30 pm outside the gym without your hat on. Is that correct?" The name of the person who wrote you up was never identified but you often could guess afterwards. You might want to argue your point but usually to no avail because the assistant commandant would drive home the infraction by stating that being in uniform at all times requires a hat on outside. Obviously, your name wouldn't have been on the list had the assistant commandant not agreed with the infraction and the person initiating the write up. So, you'd take in a deep breath, be dismissed, and hope the resultant damage to your citizenship record wasn't too bad. If you couldn't report for demerits after lunch, you had to go after dinner. The next day, you anxiously awaited the posting of demerits outside HQ to learn how many you got for your infraction. [Note: You could get demerits for a lot of stuff -- being out of uniform, late to formation, profanity/vulgarity, disrespect, smoking, off limits, etc.. You name it, there was a demerit for it. Some infractions like getting caught smoking resulted in 25 demerits -- all at once. Some cadets had 50 plus demerits and were continously working off tours in their spare time and during physical education period.] Oh, did I ever make the Commandant's List? You bet I did.

8 comments:

JTMC@IF said...

Hmmm ... that whole demerit system seems like it could induce some serious "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING" paranoia! Nevertheless, you said you & your bro were disappointed when you couldn't return to ENMS; WHY?! I just can't relate to that kind of life at all (I'm not running it down; I just don't understand it. A little illumination, please?).

O. Gary Lauer said...

You adapt. You find other adaptees. You find sympathizers and empathizers. Life settles and makes sense.You find a new way of living. You find achievement and self esteem. Finally something matters. You never forget it -- a new family, new friends.

JTMC@IF said...

I get it; thank you. It's like you found a whole new dimension of yourself that you wouldn't have found if you hadn't been placed in those circumstances at that time? You could define yourself in a lot broader ways; ways that you didn't know were a part of you before and you possibly wouldn't have discovered if things had been left unchanged? You know what I'm trying to say, right? "Life that makes sense"; I don't think I really had that at that age. You were lucky, and I'm jealous. Thank God for those silver linings in dark clouds!

O. Gary Lauer said...

You got it! The older I get the more I am inclined to agree that planet Earth isn't our home but our school. When we get here and go through things we get to meet ourselves in ways that are often unimaginable. I can actually remember the day at ENMS that I really had a sense of "self" after treating another cadet negatively. My conscience kicked in and I realized that I had a choice to make in how I treated others. A bold feeling at 12 years of age. Some adults I know haven't faced that about themselves yet. So,ENMS was a tremendous learning curve at a young and impressionable age. After two years there I emerged 13 years old but felt more like 30.

Unknown said...

loved guys throwing water in your sink, or putting toothpaste on your uniforms in the closet, was easy to get 10 demerits

ENMS 151 said...

ENMS was really my first encounter with myself. Learning how my actions created consequences was underscored by the quick, efficient demerit system. A microcosm of society. Submerged in it for 2 years. Many lessons learned about consequences of choice. Few lessons learned about love, other than the love we all shared going through this experience together. Blessings to all. / Gary - 151

ENMS 151 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

csiradtech, what years did you go there?

My Goal

I'm Gary, the bass drummer in the above picture. My identification number at the Elsinore Naval and Military School (ENMS) was 151 -- a number forever burned into my soul. Here are some memories during my two year stay at ENMS in the 7th and 8th grades during the 1963 -- 1964 -- 1965 school years. I've converted old 8 mm movies that my parents took and present them here for all to see under the title of ENMS Memories on YouTube.com. My goal here is to share my story and hopefully it may stimulate viewers to share their stories with others -- even if you never attended ENMS. Who knows, you may be a parent considering sending your kid to military school and this web site may give you some insight as to what military schools have to offer. Please note that I am working on this blog at a rather sporadic pace. Also, for privacy reasons, I'll only identify cadets by their first name or initials. To access posts, please use the 'blog archive" on the right. Finally, the change from black to red type is just my style for indicating a change in the message context much like writing a new paragraph. Ready to take a ride? Let's begin! [Question: Is the ENMS band in the above picture performing at the beginning or end of the routine Sunday parade? Answer: With the platoons gone in the background, the parade is coming to an end with the ENMS band the last to pass and review -- following the Junior School platoon. Since we supplied the music / cadence for all cadets it made sense to have the ENMS band behind everyone keeping them all in step. Question: Who's the officer standing there with his back to us? Answer: That's CPT Fred V. Rosenberger, Assistant Commandant. Question: Is this the 1963-64 ENMS band or the 1964-65 ENMS band? Answer: It's the 1963-64 ENMS band because cadet Bob who became the 1964-65 ENMS band leader is in the band ranks playing snare drum -- first drum row center.]