Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Price of Admission

So, how much did it cost my "blue collar" parents to send me and little brother to ENMS for two years between September 1963 and June 1965 so they could have the breathing room to help big sister deal with her esteem and other issues? About eight grand if you go by the tuition rates in the above "Supplemental Data" pamphlet. But, I'm thinking it was probably more like nine or ten grand (might have been more) when you factor in ancillary expenses like plane tickets, clothing allowances, expenses (travel - lodging - meals) incurred for 50hr passes in Southern California after traveling by car to ENMS from Las Vegas and then back, etc. Gadzooks! The inflation calculation above shows that $10,000 in 1965 is equivalent to $68,676.19 in 2009. That was a very expensive proposition. [My parents weren't able to keep up with the monthly payments and worked out a delayed payment arrangement with LTC Conklin. For several years after we left ENMS Mom and Dad bemoaned the fact that they had this huge debt to settle with ENMS. Around when I graduated from public high school in 1969 is when they made their final payments. Steve and I felt so relieved because their debt we felt was ours as well. Often we would lament how we didn't want to go to ENMS in the first place so why should we be blamed for Mom and Dad's ENMS debt. Sorta like apologizing for being born, if you know what I mean. But we were all together in this Yellow Submarine and Mom and Dad's pain was ours (and vice versa). Just goes to show how parents can get way behind the learning curve and drag their kids through their spiraling negative performance cycle.] I am very grateful for having gone to ENMS and appreciate the sacrifice Mom and Dad made. However, although I learned a lot about life at ENMS, I probably learned a lot more about life observing my parents navigating our little dysfunctional family through the turbulent 1960s. We gave it our best shot although it seemed like a very ridiculous and unnecessary exercise at the time. God bless us one and all for trying!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a "scholarship" kid; very poor. My mom paid maybe $100 p/month for me there (plus all extra expenses, of course). Was in the Junior School from '61 to '66. I couldn't wait to get out of there....

O. Gary Lauer said...

I hear your pain, man! I think most of us couldn't wait to get out of there. What an incredible journey to place on the shoulders of a young man. Thanks for sharing and I hope your life has been fulfilling. God Bless! // Gary

Unknown said...

I remember you Gary

Unknown said...

Loeffler W R The rest of my family Deceased

My Goal

I'm Gary, the bass drummer in the above picture. My identification number at the Elsinore Naval and Military School (ENMS) was 151 -- a number forever burned into my soul. Here are some memories during my two year stay at ENMS in the 7th and 8th grades during the 1963 -- 1964 -- 1965 school years. I've converted old 8 mm movies that my parents took and present them here for all to see under the title of ENMS Memories on YouTube.com. My goal here is to share my story and hopefully it may stimulate viewers to share their stories with others -- even if you never attended ENMS. Who knows, you may be a parent considering sending your kid to military school and this web site may give you some insight as to what military schools have to offer. Please note that I am working on this blog at a rather sporadic pace. Also, for privacy reasons, I'll only identify cadets by their first name or initials. To access posts, please use the 'blog archive" on the right. Finally, the change from black to red type is just my style for indicating a change in the message context much like writing a new paragraph. Ready to take a ride? Let's begin! [Question: Is the ENMS band in the above picture performing at the beginning or end of the routine Sunday parade? Answer: With the platoons gone in the background, the parade is coming to an end with the ENMS band the last to pass and review -- following the Junior School platoon. Since we supplied the music / cadence for all cadets it made sense to have the ENMS band behind everyone keeping them all in step. Question: Who's the officer standing there with his back to us? Answer: That's CPT Fred V. Rosenberger, Assistant Commandant. Question: Is this the 1963-64 ENMS band or the 1964-65 ENMS band? Answer: It's the 1963-64 ENMS band because cadet Bob who became the 1964-65 ENMS band leader is in the band ranks playing snare drum -- first drum row center.]